The Family Adventure
Project is about to go greener. This Easter Family
On a Bike will tour The
Lake District by tandem, bicycle and trailer,
meeting people who are leading the way in environmental
tourism and good practice in the region. Staying
in low impact accommodation, visiting organisations
who promote a greener way of living, and learning
how a family of five can live more sustainably;
the Family Adventure Project aims to think global
by staying local.
To minimise our holiday
footprints, we're going to:
- Stay local; that means no long distance drives,
flights, trains, buses or ferries.
- Travel and tour using only our bicycles or public
- Stay in 'environmentally approved' accomodation,
guest houses, camp sites, eco-lodges.
- Spend our money so it stays in local communities,
patronising local businesses.
- Eat local produce, drink local beer, dine in green
restaurants, café's and eco centres.
Our aims are simple:
- To meet people who are active and passionate about
living more greenly.
- To learn more about the environment we live in
and the pressures on it.
- Discover more about eco-tourism in the Lake District.
- To find out what local authorities are doing to
encourage eco-tourism and lower impact living
- To get ideas and inspiration to help us reduce
our own eco-footprint when we return home.
- To share our experience through our blog and website
As we tour the area
by bike, we hope to call in on:
- Local organic farms
- Sites of special environmental interest or natural
- Conservation projects
- Visitor attractions with a strong eco-themes
- Wind farms, hydro schemes and nuclear power plants
- Families or communities using locally generated
solar, wind, hydro or other renewable power
- Families and community projects committed to reducing
the impact of their lifestyles
- Small businesses commited to ecologically sensitive
You can view our
route map and itinerary here. We welcome your
ideas and suggestions for places to stay, people
to visit, or things to do or try. You can contact
us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
....or stop us if you see us, we'll
be hard to miss; two adults, a tandem, a bike, two
trailers and three children; The Family on a Bike.